Saturday, September 12, 2009

Virtual Enviroments

In this project I'll be working with several virtual environments. The goal is to get at least two working with my system to prove it's modularity, but I hope to have three or more running by the end.

Corewar




This will probably be my first test field. It's a game created in the 80's and and tho old is still activity being played by large groups on the Internet. Two bots created in RedCode, a form of assembly, fight over the memory locations on a virtual computer. The game contains a relatively small set of commands so it will hopefully be an easy and simple environment to test my system to on.

Edited to correct glaring mistakes on my part

RoboCode



This is another game quite similar to Care War. It is of far greater complexity tho, so once I have decided the system works I will escalate it to this. The idea of the game to have two or more bots, which have been written in Java, fight. There have been several other bots for robocode written genetically so it will give me a good idea how my genetic algorithm logic compares (expect a post on this soon)


Engineering VE

For my 3rd Environment I'd like to work on a system where the fitness of the current generation was not in comparison to another. I'm currently looking to find a free VE that involves possible robotic arm movement or something similar. Preferably with industry applications. The college has a program like this is a separate research stream. I'll see what I can do about robing it.


Counter Strike 1.6



This is the most complex set up I could figure. This is only if I have time to spare towards the end of the development cycle. A relatively complex VE that would require advanced movement, action and reaction algorithms to be considered fit in. There is issues due to the waypoint technology some bots are based on, an alternative method would need to be found. A 3rd party interface like BotMans setup would also be required.

But a man can dream.



There you go. Potential Virtual Environments that I plan on testing my system with. This will probably change issues arise.

3 comments:

  1. I think I said this before, when you pull this of, you'll definitly get some A's. Sound complicated, excuse the ignorance at this moment, but hopfully I'll understand it more as our FYPs evolve and I can a bit more coding competence. Not sure what the entities do but will probably understand in AI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just started thinking of the entities as Game AI's like the robots or counter terrorists. Not sure how that would apply to non game ais or asimo like robots but sounds like it could be cool.
    If I am way off understanding, make sure to let me know. Will probably want a copy when its done, can give game when thats finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corewar is still played by a few dozen players, so I wouldn't call it defunct yet. The game created at Bell Labs in 1961 was called Darwin.

    ReplyDelete